Engine ops

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.
captain_john
Sparky

Engine ops

Post by captain_john »

Say All,

professional pilots and savvy aviators tuned in here. I have a question for you.

Ever since I have been reading John Deakin's work, I have been adhering to his strategies and practices. One of the things he has taught me is to leave the power firewalled during takeoff and bring the prop back to 2,500 at 1,000 feet.

What do you do? I was recently undergoing my BFR in the Arrow and my instructor told me (his plane... okay) to bring power back to 25" right after takeoff.

Now, if you have read John Deakin's "Manifold Pressure Sucks" article, you know that this is one of his "Old Wives Tales".

I leave the power firewalled and control the engine with the prop. Then I lean for fuel consumption.

See: http://www.advancedpilot.com/downloads/prep.pdf

for more information. Read the first question and see what I mean. It is odd that he should state the question in the same way that I was confronted.

Soooo, how do you fly?

:? CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Exact same way John. There is absolutely no reason to bring the MP back after takeoff. I fly firewalled, and use the prop. UNLESS you're flying turbocharged...the MP will come back all by itself with altitude.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

That's what I was looking for, Chad!

This was basically a self check for me. Thanks!

I thought that I was losing it!

Thanks!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!