Engine Question

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.
RobDob
Class E

Engine Question

Post by RobDob »

Hi all

I have the opportunity of acquiring a used engine for my RV8, I had a dynafocal 1 mount supplied with my kit. The engine is an IO360 C1-D6 from a Rockwell Commander. Does anyone have any experience of fitting old Commander engines in RV's? I'm trying to find out if it will fit and I'm having trouble getting any info!

I believe if it is a problem I can change the oil sump to make it a C1-C6 but obviously there would be a cost implication there.

Any advice would be gratefully received, cheers guys.

Regards

Rob
RV8 Flying G-DOBS

Mahlon
Class G

Post by Mahlon »

This 200 HP engine should fit with a minor modification. You should convert it to an A1B6 sump configuration. The C1D6 points the fuel injection servo out the back of the engine and you need it pointing out of the front of the engine. The prop governor will mount at the front of the engine on a C1D6 but that will fit the RV cowl. Otherwise the engine should fit fine.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
“The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

RobDob
Class E

Post by RobDob »

Thanks Mahlon; I'll look into how to change it to a A1B6 configuration. Is there an idiots guide as to what configuration needs what?!
RV8 Flying G-DOBS

Mahlon
Class G

Post by Mahlon »

This document shows the basic differences between different Lycoming engine models:

http://www.lycoming.com/support/trouble ... SSP204.pdf

but really all you need to do, is get hold of an IO-360-A1A, A1B, A1B6, A1B6D or A3B6D sump and intake pipes and swap them out for what you have and you should be all set.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
“The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Mahlon
Class G

Post by Mahlon »

Actually there is a later version available..don't know why two are on Lycoming's website but this is the latest.
http://www.lycoming.com/support/trouble ... SSP108.pdf

RobDob
Class E

Post by RobDob »

Brilliant; thanks very much, I really appreciate your help!
RV8 Flying G-DOBS

RobDob
Class E

Post by RobDob »

Sorry to resurrect this rather old thread but confusion is creeping in again as I finally get to the stage of fitting the engine!!

Will a C1-C6 fit an RV8? I've been looking through the Lycoming document and to my non-engineer brain its rather confusing.

If a C1 C6 is suitable then great, otherwise does anyone have an idiots guide of how to convert to an A1 B6 configuration? Is it solely a sump change?

Thanks for any further help!
RV8 Flying G-DOBS

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

pretty sure it's just a sump change! (probably sump and induction tubes).

It's possible that there are other minor differences, but the only thing that makes that engine non-suitable for your RV is the aft-facing induction.

I have a C1C, which should be the same as a C1C6 but non-counterweighted, and I just converted it to forward facing. Check my other thread on the topic!
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

RobDob
Class E

Post by RobDob »

Thanks for the advice.....think I'll opt for buying the sump rather than following your route!

Cheers ;)
RV8 Flying G-DOBS

RobDob
Class E

Post by RobDob »

Hi Ian

With your sump change, do you know what designation your engine has become? I think the UK authority need to know what my engine will be after the sump change.
RV8 Flying G-DOBS

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

Mine was a C1C originally, and near as I can tell, the change makes it an A1A, but that's probably not entirely accurate because I don't think the induction tubes are located in exactly the same place.
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!