Engine pre-heat...step one

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.
painless
Class C

Post by painless »

Here are the pics I promised of what I call the "poor man's heated hangar":

This is the heat tape thermostat that is placed on top of the engine through one of the intakes.

There are two water heater insulation blankets shown here, overlapping on the top of the cowl, with what is left of a third blanket I cut up to insulate the duct coming out of the heater on top. The insulation on the aft side of the firewall also helps to keep the heat inside the cowl. I also have three blankets and a small kiddie sleeping bag under the water heater insulation.

What is nice about this system is that everything you own under the cowl is nice and toasty warm. No chance of condensation being a problem as everything is kept at the same temp. While I am doing my preflight, I stick a second ceramic heater set on low inside the cockpit, usually for about 10 minutes, and everything is nice and toasty, including the seat cushions. Dynon and Lowrance 2000c displays are much happier too.
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

I don't have to bother with heating the inside of the cockpit...

...I installed heated seats instead ! :mrgreen:
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

An update on the Reiff sump heater. I finished the final installation last night. I put the cowl on and a down feather comforter on top of the cowl (Only the finest). I turned it on around 8pm last night, and at noon today my oil temp (at the sensor) was 96 degrees and my CHT's were all in the high 70's.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS