Anyone using an IO 360 A1A engine?

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.
captain_john
Sparky

Anyone using an IO 360 A1A engine?

Post by captain_john »

I just spoke to Mahlon and a bunch of other people on this engine and it seems like this engine is essentially a non-counterbalanced A1B6 and is potentially subject to vibration (hence a potential RPM restriction) with a metal prop. Will I even have one?

I am looking at using this with the Hartzell 7497 that Van sells.

I also have an email into Hartzell asking them this very question.

I know that a composite prop will avoid all this but I like metal. That might be swayed, however.

My question is, Firewall Forward. Are there any induction changes? Ken from Van's says it should be similar to the A1B6 but I would like to hear from builders.

Anything else I should be concerned with? Comments? Thoughts?

:? CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

CJ-

I remember the IO A1A needing a special exhaust maybe? Perhaps it's something to consider.

Any reason for needing 200 HP? I've heard stories of it being a little better on the pocketbooks for efficiency. But if it's more expensive than a 180 IO360, will the incremental fuel savings ever offset the fixed extra cost? Or do you just want the fastest MF'in RV-7 on RB?

RPM restrictions aren't a big deal with a CS prop. Its easy enough to dial it back to a setting and just leave it there in cruise. With a FP prop it would be a bigger deal IMHO.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Mike, Speed I couldn't give a hoot about to be quite honest.

RV's are fast enough for me... for at least the time being.

I want to be able to run LOP at reduced power and still have adequate power to maintain "RV speed" at cruising altitude at LOP settings.

...if ya catch my drift. I guess I am cheap with fuel but spendthrifty with engines?

Soooo... My quest continues?

:? CJ
RV-7

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

captain_john wrote:Mike, Speed I couldn't give a hoot ..........

I want to be able to run LOP at reduced power and still have adequate power to maintain "RV speed" at cruising altitude at LOP settings.
...........J
you can have it both ways. I've been running around lately at 21-23" 2350-2400 rpm. burning 8.4 to 10.5 speeds have been 170ktas and above. I'm still figuring out the whole LOP/ROP engine management and have been running on the rich side for engine break-in. I was running 7.1gph at 20" 2300 and still getting 164kts.

I haven't been able to run WOT below 10500 due to turbulence coming off the mountain waves. But at 6500' I ran 25" 2450(or something like that) and was see 183-186kts before I had to throttle back.

Best of both worlds.
Brian
Townsend, MT

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Ohhh yah... I gotta hurry up and get this thing done!

Canopy stuff tonight... OMG!

...the frustration! hahaha

Well, I guess it comes down to this: I NEED AN ENGINE to spin a prop!

:cry: CJ
RV-7

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

captain_john wrote:Ohhh yah... I gotta hurry up and get this thing done!

Canopy stuff tonight... OMG!

...the frustration! hahaha

Well, I guess it comes down to this: I NEED AN ENGINE to spin a prop!

:cry: CJ
Haha...I recall last year when on my way home from Colorado with that bright yellow 360 in the back of my jeep. "Man I have GOT to finish this thing up!, I've got to much money and effort sitting around doing nothing."

Get'r done
Brian
Townsend, MT