My Baffle/Snorkel Rant!

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.
captain_john
Sparky

My Baffle/Snorkel Rant!

Post by captain_john »

Well guys, let me start off with this COCKTAIL NAPKIN SKETCH and the RV-12 style baffle plans!

What an incredible contrast from too little info to too much info!

I am a Goldilocks fan and the plans we used to build these plane to this point are clear, concise and well drawn. It seems that the older ones were "sketchy" at best and the new ones are like comic books!

Now with all that aside, let me warn you that if you are going M1B-ish (with the snorkel in the cowl inlet) DO NOT trim the baffling to meet the cowling inlet until AFTER you have fitted the snorkel!

I had to add a piece onto the front of the baffle ramp in order for the air filter to fit and it was LOTS more difficult than it had to be! Here is a picture:

I scabbed a 1/4" thick aluminum bar in there to give it the proper thickness.

Here is a top view:

But what I really like is this:

The parts count is lower by 2 with this combination filter hold down/conical gusset.

If you look at the cocktail napkin diagram, Van wants you to install 2 hair filter hold down brackets (note the drill bit) on each side of the air cleaner.

On the CAD plan (comic book plan) he shows a conical gusset (see the punch) in the corner of the baffle.

As far as I can see, there really isn't enough room for all these components to fit cleanly.

This is my resolution. Take from it what you will.

If you devised a better plan... I am all ears! Clue me in!

What do you think?

:? CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

In thinking this over I would guess that Van had designed the baffles and their respective plans to go with the bottom cowl scoop.

When the "nostril" style snorkel came about for the forward facing intakes, he made the parts but didn't revise the plans thoroughly.

A new set of plans outlining these things that I discovered would really have been an asset!

Hmmmm, maybe this is why they call it "experimental"?

:roll: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

That could be an opportunity!

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl