engine quality aftermarket versus Lycoming

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.
simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

OK CJ got it. You are up pretty early. Are you on the east coast area?

Thanks and a Happy Easter to you also, Cheers gary

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Gary, Yup... I rarely sleep past 6:30 eastern time.

Thanks!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

How it looks now...

8) CJ
RV-7

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

OK I see how the intake and filter will be set up, looking like a nice neat installation. Regarding out fuel injection discussion, does the fuel injection use a gascolator?

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

No... there is typically no gasco in a FI setup.

Not that you couldn't put one in, just that there really isn't a need for it. In fact, Grumman doesn't see a need for one in their carb'ed birds either.

If you sump your tanks regularly, you won't have any water, and with both the inline filter and the screen on the servo, any debris will get caught.

8) CJ
RV-7

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

OK CJ gottha. off topic just got the baffle kit but didn't realize there is a second oil cooler install kit which kinda is annoying. oh well won't be the last parts order, Cheer sG

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Second oil cooler install kit???

What parts are you missing?

My baffles came with everything Van said that I needed.

I beefed it up my way too, because it seems like everyone has cracks if they don't...

:bang: CJ
RV-7

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

The baffle behind the number 4 cylinder shows a square cutout in the plans for the oil cooler, mine have no cutout. It is part CB-705A, maybe I do the cutout. also there is a square part that acts as a doubler and mount for the nut plates FF-709, not in my kit. I know I can make the mounting stuff but I thought the oil cooler items would be included as part of the baffle kit.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Gary, yes... you are to cut the hole as HIGH in the baffle as you can. That will keep the oil cooler.

Also, the FF-709... I used mine only as a template.

I doubled up the ENTIRE 705A with an slice of .063"!

I also took the rest of that sheet and made an .063" angle to stiffen the outside flange where most seem to crack.

Here is a pic of the angle I made.

:wink: CJ
RV-7

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

OK CJ maybe I do have all the stuff in the kit. Will hang it all on the engine and see how things shape up. Sorry to bug you with this stuff. have a Cessna 170 now and the baffles are continually cracking. On the RVs is the corner with the cooler the weak spot or do they tend to crack all over. Your cooler install looks pretty bullet proof with the additional structure you have put in. I wonder if there was something like a layer of rubber between the cooler and the baffle if that might keep the vibration damage under more control.

One more thing,regarding the cowl: in those places you use the Mil Spec fasteners, did you use any metal on the under side of the cowl around where the fasteners go to protect the cowl fastener interface or do you think the cowl material is tough enough?

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Gary, No worries... feel free to ask away and I will answer as much as I can.

As far as these RV's go... there is nuttin' to it but ta do it! Give it a whirl! If it doesn't work, just fix it! Easy peasey Japanesey!

I wouldn't give it a place to vibrate from like inserting a slice of rubber between the flanges. I hear ya and know where you are coming from. I just prefer putting in more METAL!

I removed the slice of .063" x 1" or so that is supposed to be sandwiched between the side and rear pieces that surround cylinder #4 and that it the space I slipped the .063" sheet doubler in it's place, wrapping it all the way around to where it meets the center piece(s) on the rear of the engine.

I didn't install any metal pieces under the fiberglass for the milspecs. Billy didn't on the -6 that I am flying now and his is fine. You should be fine too. That is a throwback to the (really old) older cowlings. The new ones are beefier.

RV-7

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

CJ

just to up date, engine coming in the next day or so. Have the prop FP exhaust and baffling stuff so should be fun tackling some big items. Also
talked to your colleagues at Mil Spec and have the fastener kit coming for the cowl. Should keep me off the streets and out of the bars for a while.
trying now to get my brain around fitting the spinner. Seems the Van's instructions are getting a little vague regarding direction ahead of the firewall
tho I guess everyone's installation will be a bit different. If anyone has any pearls of wisdom concerning the spinner fit, Id like to her them. one other thing, the procedure to put pictures into the forum would be neat. Can you tell me how you go about that? Thanks again to you and all the other RB-ers

Cheers G

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

G, awesome! Sounds like you are on a roll now! You have a lots of the wallet progress out of the way. Now to install the stuff!

I used Dan Horton's advice on lining up the cowling. One thing is for sure, it doesnt install itself!

There is a much putting things together and then taking them apart in order to get a good fit. You will have to do the baffle and cowling pretty much simultaneously in order to make it come together well.

You will see what I mean by that soon!

I have a Hartzell prop AND spinner. Things were a bit different on my project in that regard.

Spike, sounds like Gary needs some help posting pics. Can you assist him?

RV-7

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

CJ thanks, pretty excited to sink my teeth into the engine cowl install, have also found the Dan Horton stuff you mentioned. Have some free time coming up nice weather too so hope to make some progress on the project. I expect to have many more questions so you will likely hear from me soon, Again thanks for advise and direction, Cheers Gary

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Gary,

Can't wait to see pics of your install!

I am sure Spike will fill you in on how to post them up.

You are in the home stretch now!

RV-7

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

As my daughter would text on her phone: OMG~~~~I tried to hang the engine today and nothing would fit. Could only get one mount to line up, the rest were way off, just ran out of patience and muscle and ideas. what the heck is the magic formula?????? I was actually trying to put the mount on the engine with the idea of then bolting the mount to the firewall. Thought that would be "easier".........no such luck.

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Gary,

The trick I used when I mounted my engine was to do the lower mounts first. The weight of the engine against the engine mount (mine was on my airframe) would help compress the lower vibration isolators to allow the bolts to be installed easier.

When it came time for the upper mounts, I used the engine hoist to lift the engine to compress the upper vibration isolators against the engine mount.

I can't offer much advice to mounting the engine off of the airframe....
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

I mounted the engine mount to the fuselage first. Then I mounted the engine to engine mount on my RV-6A. N 784TB. On an RV-6A it would be very difficult to mount the engine mount with the engine on it. I had an O-320 E 160 HP. It may be different with an O-360 180 HP but the cases are the same.

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

Thanks you guys. I guess I should not work on Sundays. Anyway today I arrived at the hanger with my Extra large McDonalds coffee, put a little Led Zeplin on the Vicrola and had the four mounts on the engine in an hour and maybe another 20 minutes for mount to fuselage. The rubber mounts still a bit of a struggle but you can squirm them around a little with a big Phillips screw driver. Second one was the nasty one then the 3rd and 4th were pretty much lining up. Anyway pleased with this progress and thanks for your comments, Cheers Gary

jimball
Class G

Oshkosh engine special

Post by jimball »

For anyone that is nearing the time for a new engine, we (ECi) are offering a $1,000 deduction on a new engine if you place a deposit by August 5th.
I'll be up there all week if anyone would like to stop by and talk. We're in front of Hangar A.
Cell phone # 210 625 0641
Jim (J.B.) Ball