Sudden High Oil Pressure

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.
joe plihal
Class G

Sudden High Oil Pressure

Post by joe plihal »

I could sure use some input!! Engine is a O-320 ECI Kit engine, 200Hr TT, I have Dynon D 100 and D120. Started it up last night, everything seemed normal, got oil temp to 100 degrees, did notice oil pressure at about 72psi at idle, didn't think too much of it, everything else in the green and took off. At 1000'agl looked at oil pressure and saw 88psi. Max is usually 78-79psi. These seemed far from normal and I was not happy to see this. Thought it might be electrical, alt output was 14.2V where it usually is, turned on everything electrical and the oil press didn't move. Landed the plane and looked at the oil press and it was 65psi at idle. Took off again and it stayed at 77psi as I circled the airport. Landed and removed the cowling to visually check things over, including electrical connections and found nothing. Has anyone experienced something similar or have any thoughts? It has an adjustable oil pressure regulator and the plane is a RV-9.
Thanks
Joe

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Hi Joe,

I think you should look at your oil pressure sensor. My RV recently developed the issue of high fuel pressure, which I have determined was really a bad VDO sensor.

Try getting a new sensor and seeing if that makes your problems go away. That would be the simplest and cheapest fix!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

joe plihal
Class G

Post by joe plihal »

Hi Mike
That sounds like a great plan. Thank You for the reply.
Joe

joe plihal
Class G

Post by joe plihal »

Hi Mike
Thank You for the info. Replaced the sender and the issue went away.
Thanks Again
Joe

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Joe,

Great to hear it was a simple fix!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS