narrow deck or wide deck

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.
Ron
Class E

narrow deck or wide deck

Post by Ron »

Hello all,
Does anyone know what the difference is between wide deck and narrow deck engines, and which would be more desirable to power the 7? thank's for any help

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Wide vs Narrow deck engines ...

Post by Spike »

Hey Ron, Im not an engine genious or anything. However, a search on the web seems to indicate that one of the large differences between a narrow and wide deck engines would be the size of the flanges that are used to bolt the cylinders onto the case. Apparently sometimes the narrow deck engines also used a plate to help bolt the cylinders on. There is some more information here. If I find more Ill let you know.

-- John

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

More information

Post by Spike »

I found some more information here.

And even better info here.

Hope that helps.

-- Spike

Post by Guest »

thank's for the help spike, it is greatly appreciated. I just ordered a RV-7 qb kit, and can't wait to get started. This will be my second flying project, my first build was a challenger II amphib. This project is much different, and I dont know much about the Lycoming, so having a resource like this is going to make life much easier.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Glad to be of help ..

Post by Spike »

Glad that we could be of help to you friend :) Please continue to visit and participate and bring friends with you. Getting word out about the site has been a bit diffucult. Stick around and have some fun !!

-- John