Riveting Bottem Wing Skins Sequence

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
Mike Balzer
Class E

Riveting Bottem Wing Skins Sequence

Post by Mike Balzer »

I have read many ways to rivet bottem of my wing skins. Vans says to start on I/B rear spar between wing walk ribs and work in an L shaped patern.

Some other builders say to Start on FWD spar and work in L shaped pattern toward o/b.

And some builders start in the middle of I//B skin and work there way out.

Which is best.

Thanks.
Mike
It is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, then being in the air and wishing you were on the ground. N78MB

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Wings are different on Quick Build RV-6 Wings you rivet the outer top skin on and start on the inboard and work out. I suspect that quick builds very from standard kits. Therefore I know that the best way for various Van's airplanes different. Mike take the advice of follow RV-7 Builders and probably ignore what anyone else says!

bruceh
Class D

Post by bruceh »

Start in the center of the rear spar and work your way to each end, row by row until you have to start using the access panels to get under the skin to buck. I had some help on my first wing, but did the second one by myself. I had the wing laying flat on some work tables (on some padding, of course). On the -9 wings there are an inner bottom and outer bottom skin. Getting the inner one done with all of the extra ribs for the wing walk was a real contortion.

Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P

cbkillion
Class G

Post by cbkillion »

I did mine when they were on the stand. I was able to do them all solo and I think I pretty much followed the procedure set out in the instructions.

Here are some pictures and a description from the event: http://www.rv8plane.com/?id=146. If you look through them, I think I may have some more pictures from when I did the second wing as well showing how I peeled the skin back.
- Brett
...Fuselage...?

www.rv8plane.com

Mike Balzer
Class E

Post by Mike Balzer »

Thank you for all that replied,
I kept wings on stand and had a helper ( fellow RV Builder ) help me shoot most of the I/B skins. It is always great to have good help and two brains thinking at the same time so you dont get trapped.

Every thing worked out great and I borrowed tungston bars and what a nice weight behind such a small bar.

I followed Vans recomendations for riveting starting in the middle of the wing walk ribs and working in an L shaped pattern.

Once again thanks,
Mike
It is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, then being in the air and wishing you were on the ground. N78MB