Try MAZDA

A forum to alternate source of power to include Eggenfellner and other conversions.
Kaycee
Class G

Try MAZDA

Post by Kaycee »

HI All,
Has anyone given any thought to a MAZDA Rotary, the poor mans turbine...3 moving parts. If you're interested try Real World Solutions, and the ACRE site all deal with Rotarys. I've decided to go that route.
You can get a base short block for about 4-6000, a lot less than a certified engine rebuild..not firewall forward yet but I see light a the end of the tunnel. There is one RV4 with about 1200 hours and now has the latest MAZDA (Renesis) installed with good results. The 2 rotor engines range from about 150 to 250 HP depending on the tweaking, mods, turbo or whatever. I think it's worth a look
Harold, RV 9A, MAZDA 13B, working on the fuselage
Harold

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Im definately a fan of the Rotary solution. Im still *years* off from that point and if they are a bit more mature in the package then I might bight. The two RV-8's that are now flying with them I find exciting. Im interested in seeing how this turns out ... :popcorn:

-- John

nightflyer
Class E

Post by nightflyer »

Kaycee and Spike, I'm definitely with you on this one. Very intigued with the Mazda rotary. In today's world, I consider Jan Eggenfellner's Subaru conversions to be the standard of comparison when it comes to auto conversions. His firewall forward package is so well-developed and professional. My goal is to work up a Mazda installation that's as clean as the Egg. With all the good work people like Tracy Crook of Real World Solutions and Fred Breese at Conversion Concepts are doing, that goal is becoming more realistic.
One thing I'm doing a little long-term thinking about is the premix vs. oil injection question. I like the idea of using the Mazda injection with a small reservoir of two-stroke oil mounted somewhere. However, the premix approach results in a simpler,lighter installation, and supposedly provides more uniform lubrication across the apex seals :? . What do you guys think?
Oh well, it'll be a couple years before I have to make those decisions. Lot's of rivets to bang in the meantime!
Ben
RV-9A #90217
Empennage

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Me like simple solutions *argh argh argh*

wurger
Class G

Try MAZDA

Post by wurger »

I"ve been checking out Tracy Crook"s website and can't wait to get to Sun&Fun to check out the rotary scene. This cat is doing some interesting stuff!! 8) :idea:

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

What is Tracy Crook's web site address?
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Try MAZDA

Post by Spike »

Look for the "Real World Solutions" link on the resource pages of the site.

-- John

What is Tracy Crook's web site address?
Submitted via email

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I have been doing a lot of reading and research on the rotary engine, and like spike, am a long time from this point, but this engine has definately got my full attention! I thought, without a doubt, that I'd end up with an IO-360, but now I am wavering from that thought.

Be fun to watch over the next few years!

:headscratch:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com