Disabled access

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
Luv2fly
Class G

Disabled access

Post by Luv2fly »

My wife is partially disabled so that access to an Rv9 would require mechanical assistance. Anyone solve this problem or have ideas? I want to finish my Rv9 and retire my 182.

prestwich
Class D

Post by prestwich »

A 182, eh? Maybe you can retire that over my direction. What are your wife's limitations?

Luv2fly
Class G

Post by Luv2fly »

Thanks for the reply! She's a licensed pilot not current but loves to fly and is a great co-pilot. She uses a wheel chair and would need something like a Hoyer lift with a sling. These Rvs are a bit challenging to get out of for us senior types. I've thought about using a linear actuator to raise the seat and some sort of lift with a sling to lift her to the ground. It's hard to get into the 182 also. Just thought someone might have addressed this question already. Gotta admit, I'd just love to have an RV, but it must be useful for both of us.

prestwich
Class D

Post by prestwich »

Well, I really only chimed in because no one else seemed to have the problem solved already. I love a good product design challenge. Obviously building something for use only in the hangar would be pretty straightforward, but if you actually want to take trips and disembark at a remote destination, the giant question is how to make something portable enough. I like the linear actuator, pneumatic or hydraulic seat lift concept, but I don't know where you would put the wheelchair in an RV.

Luv2fly
Class G

Post by Luv2fly »

We have a small portable, folding transfer chair that would fit in the cargo area.
Raising the seat would still require getting her to and from the raised seat. She can walk with help. Perhaps a ramp could be used with the taildragger configuration so she could walk from the ground to the wing with help of course? I'll see if I can estimate the ground to wing distance at the rear spar. There is a danger of falling.

A sling would be preferable. I have thought about using a sling with a linear actuator mounted on the bulhead behind the seat. 400 lb actuators aren't heavy- 5 lbs or so. A removable arm, made of tubular aluminum, could be made to fit on the actuator rod The arm would permit rotating her so she could be raised and lowered to/ from the ground.

I am also challenged by such things. I designed and built a lift for our van that permits access to the passenger seat. Linear actuators are inexpensive and strong.

Thanks again for the dialog. I'm not disabled, but I find getting out of an RV quite challenging.

Roger

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

However you work it out, I think it's awesome that she wants to share aviation with you despite her disability.
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

prestwich
Class D

Post by prestwich »

The -14 is allegedly easier to get in and out of than earlier Van's models, but I guess if I were faced with the issue, I'd stick with a high wing airplane. If you design the sling / lift, do you think there is sufficient strength in the -9 structure to accommodate a cantilevered weight of 1 wife?

Luv2fly
Class G

Post by Luv2fly »

Thanks for the comment. I have wondered about the stresses involved. They are not trivial with the weight and arms involved. And not considered in the RV9 design of course. A lift would have to be hanger support equipment I'm afraid.

Lycosaurus
Class G

Portable unit

Post by Lycosaurus »

Terry Frazier built a lift system that is portable and installed in the plane.
http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-ai ... Accessible

Not sure what you might have to do for a -9, since there would be quite a tilt. Maybe if you are just starting your build you might consider building a -9A.
Alfio
RV-9A, first flight Dec. 18, 2008
TT (tach) over 800 hrs.
Ottawa, Canada

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Brilliant!

Good find Alfio!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Luv2fly
Class G

Post by Luv2fly »

How about that! Exactly what I had in mind. Interesting, the arm is not to0 long, maybe two feet so the moment isn't too great. The vertical piece is just in front of the 705 bulkhead

Thanks so much for the lead. I'm going to check out the site.

What's the distance from ground to the rear of the wing on the 9a and the 9? I have the plans but it's hard to get a reasonably accurate estimate. Looks like about two feet on the 9.

Again, thanks folks. Much obliged..

Roger

Patrickd01
Class G

Re:

Post by Patrickd01 »

Luv2fly wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:47 pm
Thanks for the reply! She's a licensed pilot not current but loves to fly and is a great co-pilot. She uses a wheel chair and would need something like a Hoyer lift with a sling. These Rvs are a bit challenging to get out of for us senior types. I've thought about using a linear actuator to raise the seat and some sort of lift with a sling to lift her to the ground isolation 1 €. It's hard to get into the 182 also. Just thought someone might have addressed this question already. Gotta admit, I'd just love to have an RV, but it must be useful for both of us.
Maybe you could take some pictures when you were on the track.