Boost pump

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
Joe Parish
Class D

Boost pump

Post by Joe Parish »

While at Osh wanted to look at boost pumps. Won't be there Wednesday night unfortunately. If I recall Bruce S. and I believe Mike ordered a andair boost pump I believe they are easier plumbing than Vans option? I also recall them having issues that took a while to resolve. A gasket issue or something like that. I search Bruce S., Bruce Hills and Mike site but couldn't get a hit when I searched. Want to do a IO-320 fuel injected. The high pressure fuel pump is on the engine right? I believe I just need the boost pump. All information appreciated. Going with AFP fuel injection. Anyone have info on the AFP pump?
Thanks Joe
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

leffler
Class E

Re: Boost pump

Post by leffler »

Don and Colleen Rivera are usually at OSH, but don't have a booth. I would give him a call and arrange at time at OSH to meet. They are very personable and eager to assist builders. I also highly recommend attending Don's Fuel Injection class that he holds in November and March (I believe, details on his website)

bob
Bob Leffler
RV-10 - Flying
http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Thanks for the info Bob.! After doing more research I think I'll go with AFP. I will be looking at the andair fuel valve tho.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Joe,

The Andair fuel pump installation is quite neat because all of the plumbing is built into the pump. I know CJ has the Andair pump and is happy with it. My only concern with that pump is Andair's customer service seems to be lacking. They are an England-based company, and aren't known for their quick responses.

I went the route of the Airflow Performance pump. After I received it, I noticed I could of saved a bunch of money since they use the Airtex E2315 fuel pump (Amazon $70). You can order all of the fittings from them directly, sans pump, and save some good money. One great thing about them using an off-the-shelf pump is in case you have a failure, you can easily, and affordably replace it down the road.

As far as the Andair valve goes, that is definitely worth getting. While the Van's fuel valve works just fine, it is just a cheap looking fuel selector valve with no great protection from turning the valve to the off position. The AndAir valve has a spring loaded knob you must pull up in order to turn the valve to the off position. The AndAir valve comes in a lot of different configurations. If you ever plan to have a ferry tank, they make a version of the valve which you can select between three tanks.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I do like my Andair pump/filter/selector setup.

The pump DID FAIL on me in the first 6 hours but has been rock solid for the past 425 hours!

Don Rivera (as I recall) says that any pump will work fine with his system.

The Andair is simple, but service is frustrating.

Maybe consider the EFII also?

Leave it to Milkey to find a $70 solution on Amazon! Way to go Dimples!

:lol: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Thanks guys. I am looking at the EFII CJ. It appears smaller than AFP and is slightly less expensive. EFII is $649 with 2 filters, and Vans has the AFP with one filter is $670.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

bruceh
Class D

Post by bruceh »

I'm really happy with the EFII pump. The only issues so far were the leaky washers, which were fixed for free by Robert Paisley at his shop at Cable Airport in Upland, CA. The original version which I bought used metal crush washers. The later versions are all upgraded to metal washers with rubber o-ring inserts, so no more leaks.

I also didn't like the way the filters were connected, so I replaced it with an EZ-Flow filter, which is basically the same size, but is servicable instead of disposable.

The original filters also were prone to leaking between the AN fittings and the brass adapter which has a rubber washer inside that gets tightened down.

The new filter is solid with the connections.

Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Bruce, could you expand on your fuel filter? You said it's about the same size as efii' disposable ones. At least it looks like efii' disposable ones in the picture. You said it's a ez flow, what micron filter is it? It looks longer as far as the size of the filter? I believe more filter surface area is good. Where did you buy it? I am currently looking for serviceable filter. Going with the same set up as you. AFP fuel injection and the EFII boost pump like you. AFP's filter is $135 I believe. Not sure how much Andair's is but don't like the overseas issue. Although I think Aircraft Spruce has them. Thanks Joe, all info appreciated.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

bruceh
Class D

Post by bruceh »

Here is the filter info.
Flow Ezy filter part #3-AN6-74 with 8286-02 element.
www.flowezyfilters.com/pdfs/MotorSport.pdf
Look for the 3000 series. 74 micron filter.
Tell them it is for an "off-road" vehicle. :grin:

I think it is about 3/8" longer than the EFII set up with the brass adapters. It is also narrower, so you'll need a smaller diameter cushion clamp to hold it in place.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Thanks for the info Bruce.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Thought I would update this thread. Better late than never I guess. I ended up looking at all Osh had to offer and ended up going with Andair. I was impressed with the quality of there products. I had doubts in my mind even as I was placing my order with them being across the pond and all. I bought the pump, fuel valve and there small gascolators, one for each wing. Liked the idea of separate filters, at least there is an option if one gets plugged. Slim chance with proper maintenance but a little insurance. I new going into it I may not get it for quite some time. They told me 2 weeks and then a minute later said that 4 weeks would be more realistic. They said they are having growing pains. I knew I would be lucky to get them by the end of September. I got an e-mail saying they shipped the other day. Hopefully have them in a week or so. Don't have them yet but if I get them next week it will have taken 15 weeks to get the product. I sure hope it's worth the wait.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

Arielma27
Class G

Post by Arielma27 »

leffler wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:51 am
Don and Colleen Rivera are usually at OSH, but don't have a booth. I would give him a call and arrange at time at OSH to meet. They are very personable and eager to assist builders meilleure mutuelle TNS. I also highly recommend attending Don's Fuel Injection class that he holds in November and March (I believe, details on his website)

bob
You're lucky, because the people in our area are not friendly at all.