Bell Tailwheel axle bolt

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
Javaman
Class G

Bell Tailwheel axle bolt

Post by Javaman »

Hi to everyone, this is my first post after purchasing an RV-7 here in the UK. The aircraft was built in 2009 and subsequently fitted with a Bell tailwheel. I need to fit a towbar to the tail wheel not just for towing out but also manoeuvring around the hangar. I am not happy with the available solutions for merely fixing to the existing axle nut and bolt head as I want something more robust and secure due to having to tow some 100 - 150 yards before each flight.
I have been looking at the Flyboy Accessories Bell Tailwheel stainless steel axle bolt which is one option, however, I feel that a more suitable alternative may be simply to order a replacement tailwheel bolt which is longer by 1 1/2" and then turn up a couple of spacers of an appropriate length and diameter so that these will be a smooth sliding fit into the towbar without any need to interfere with the bolt head or nut each time the towbar is attached.
Although my longterm plan is to build my own 7 and eventually sell the current aircraft, I am still very much a newbie and unfamiliar with how part numbers for bolts are assigned. Is there anyone in the know who could give me a part number for the standard Bell tail wheel axle bolt but supplied in a length which is 1 1/2" longer than standard??
Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Re: Bell Tailwheel axle bolt

Post by bullojm1 »

Is this what you're looking for?

https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/1111.htm

You can also go about the DIY method....I think it's an AN4 bolt....you'll have to take it off and measure the diameter and length, then go to Aircraft Spruce (or somewhere that sells AN hardware locally) and buy a longer bolt suitable for your applicaiton.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Javaman
Class G

Re: Bell Tailwheel axle bolt

Post by Javaman »

Yes . . . that's the Flyboy Accessories bolt made from stainless which is one option. I may just go for that but thought it might be just as easy to turn up a couple of spacers and fit to a longer than standard bolt
Thanks for your reply!!