Planning a 2019 US tour. Anyone up for a visitor?

A place to share flight experiences of any kind. Looking forward to our first "first flight" post.
captain_john
Sparky

Planning a 2019 US tour. Anyone up for a visitor?

Post by captain_john »

Hey All, I have been busy flying this contraption and not posting much. In 3.5 years, I am at 1,000 hours on the Hobbs, been to OSH 4 times and Alaska once. I got my instrument rating in it and it is running strong!

This year I am thinking about doing a circumnavigation of the contiguous US. I have a few stops already planned, but if you have an extra bed, think you live in a cool part of the country and want to trade for an RV ride, hit me up on this thread or with a PM.

Currently I have plans in TN, SC, AZ CA, Aurora Oregon (you know why), WA, WY, KOSH and OH.

I would gladly entertain additional stops. Also, if you know of some good stops with lodging, crew cars, activities and scenic passes... let's hear about them!

I am open to all ideas!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

bruceh
Class D

Re: Planning a 2019 US tour. Anyone up for a visitor?

Post by bruceh »

CJ,
I hope you hit my corner of the US. Lot's of good beer in San Diego! We can certainly provide a bed.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Bruce, cool... I will let you know when I'm going to be in the area.

Yes, that would be great! What airport so you keep your plane at? I want to do some research.

Thanks!

RV-7

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

CJ, you’re welcome here in Indy (KUMP) - good number of RV guys and nice airport, Ive got plenty of room.

If my brother or I happen to be in CO at the cabin you should stop in. KAEJ, beautiful area right south of Leadville. We’ve got ATVs and all kinds of other fun stuff way off grid in the mountains.

Keep in touch as you plan the trip, flying around the CO mtns is a blast!
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings

Vlad
Class E

Post by Vlad »

Капитан good plan! If wx doesn't allow you to reach Bruce go to KIPL. A motel right by the ramp just punch the gate code in. A Mexican cantina is in the building say hi to Mama Rosa the owner and chef. Affordable California at its best.

Stop by Vegas too.

RV-9A N666BK flying 4,500+ hours since 2011

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Thomas, thank you very much! I will take you up on that offer! I really do want to explore your brother's area also. The ATVs sound like a lot of fun!

Vlad, I do plan on visiting Bruce that looks like a decently priced hotel. The Cantina and Las Vegas sounds great as well. Keep the ideas coming! I look forward to doing as many of these things as possible. While I am in Southern California I want to spend the night on the Queen Mary!

8) CJ
Last edited by captain_john on Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
RV-7

bruceh
Class D

Post by bruceh »

CJ,

I grew up in Long Beach, and learned to fly at KLGB. The Queen Mary is fun to visit. Not the best hotel, but the lounge at the front of the ship is a very cool place to have a cocktail. You'll have to make the trek over to Catalina Island. It should have a nice fresh new runway by summer.

I'm based a Ramona KRNM. Imperial County in the summer is very, very HOT! We only fly out to the desert areas during the cooler winter months. If you really want HEAT, go hit Furnace Creek in Death Valley. It has the lowest elevation airport in the continent at 211 feet below sea level.

If you need anything at Aircraft Spruce, you can fly in to Corona KAJO, call the will-call number and they will come get you at the airport.
Nearby is Chino, which is another mecca of RV's and warbirds.

Farther north in the Central valley is Harris Ranch. They have an airstrip right next to I-5 and the Harris Ranch resort (3O8). You can get a great steak dinner there and they have nice accommodations.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Bruce, yes I do want to go over to Catalina Island also. I'm making a list some things I would like to do on the trip and that is one of them. Maybe you could come to Catalina with me? I know you are an old salt at that.

I took my airplane up to 18,000 feet for the first time yesterday. I wanted to see how it did up there as I figure on an IFR flight plan I might have to traverse the Rockies. It was very cold and I know that in the heat it will not perform this well. Here is a video that I took. It was cool to see the numbers scrolling up towards the flight levels. I can't believe I built this thing in my garage!

https://youtu.be/70WtaQTKD0c

;) CJ
RV-7

ptrotter
Class E

Post by ptrotter »

Hey CJ,

You can make a stop in North Jersey.

Paul
Paul Trotter
RV-8 82080 Finish Kit
N801PT

sibriggs
Class G

Post by sibriggs »

Hey CJ, if you've never been to NH we've always got an extra room for you. :-)

Steve
AP-IA - ATP,CFII,Multi,SES,Gliders

Built a Vari-Eze in the 80's, now RV9

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Paullie, That sounds great! I need to check out your new place down there! Are you doing OSH again this year?

Steve, I will be seeing you waaaay sooner than that! Besides, you will be touring the county during the same time as me! :lol:

Not much longer and we will all be at OSH. I have only about 40 more days of school left in the year as of this writing! Meanwhile it is snowing in Maine right now!

See you all soon!

8) CJ
RV-7

ptrotter
Class E

Post by ptrotter »

Hey CJ,

So far I am planning on doing OSH this year. Went to SnF for a day, not much interesting.

Paul
Paul Trotter
RV-8 82080 Finish Kit
N801PT

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Hey CJ-

We are planning a trip from Indy to the cabin, bunch of the airport guys (RV9, RV7, RV10, C-182 and maybe a forked tail bonanza guy) around June 12-19/20. How's your planning coming along?

I will certainly be out there other times during the summer (except July, my off time that month is dedicated to OSH!).

T.
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Thomas,

I won't be off that soon. School lets out on June 13 and I need to do some things around here before I shove off.

Thinking about heading west after Oshkosh... maybe bugging out of there on Thursday of the show week?

What does that weekend look like for you? Colorado or Indy could be right along the way!

RV-7

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

School lets out in June! Dang, I remember when I was a kid we started after Labor Day, finished before Memorial day and had 2 weeks at Christmas and spring break!

I don't know my post-OSH plans for sure; I will probably be back in Indy to work some before I am out at the cabin again. I plan to spend some time at the cabin in Aug, but the dates aren't firmed up yet. I will keep you posted.

T.
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings

charlie
Class G

Post by charlie »

Hangar space & 2 spare bedrooms @ Slobovia Outernational (MS71) just north of Jackson MS. PM or email if you plan to be in the area.

Charlie
Flying -4 (purchased), for sale, -7 fwf in progress, and soon, a -6 to travel in while I finish the -7
Charlie England
Slobovia Outernational Airport
flying -4, -7 wings

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Charlie, I was thinking that Mississippi would be a good stop. My nephew lives there and I haven’t seen him in decades!

I want to say that he is down in Pascagoula or Lucedale.

I will look you up this coming summer! Thanks!

:grin: CJ
RV-7