wing mating time

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
hydroguy2
Class B

wing mating time

Post by hydroguy2 »

My goal is to attach the wings this weekend. My father-in-law(ex Boeing employee) will be in town, so he'll get a kick out of helping. In prep, RV-4 project owner, Mike S dropped by today to help me position the wings for the initial mating.

After reading Chad's build log, I made certain to layout the fairing attach holes. I used the triangular method to find centers.

My QB fuse already had universal rivets installed and I already have the floors riveted in place. So what to do about this rivet? Thinking about notching the rear spar to clear or drilling out and figure how to blind dimple and cherrymax it.

Here's some helpful numbers:

1. wing tip is approximately 6.125" higher than fuselage bottom
2. wing inboard needs to be ~.375" higher than fuse bottom
3. minimum distance needed to mate wings is 24'. Prior to spars inserted into fuse, my wing tip to wing tip is ~23'.
4. RV-7 fuse length motor mount to tailwheel is ~18'.

I was able to position everything and still park my Jeep in the shop.
Brian
Townsend, MT

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Good deal Brian!

About that rivet...it might not be an issue, but you won't know until you have he wing on...that means pulling it and installing it an extra time. Not a big deal, but if the rivet has to come out, you'll have to do it. I went ahead and drilled mine out before fitting the wings, and threw a cherry max in there. I just countersunk the skin and 705 bulkhead for it. I think the shop head of that drilled rivet is still inside, but it's not hurting anything...can't get it out.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Doh! I didn't even think about countersinking. Headed out to the shop to do it right now. Thanks
Brian
Townsend, MT

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

My grandson dropped by tonight. After his walk around checking out the latest progress, he said "well if we're gonna fly this thing we should get the wings on it".
So here's Austin checking clearances while I pushed the wing in place.

then I had him do the wiggle/jiggle while I inserted the pins.

Austin has been a great little helper and always wants to work on the plane when he comes over. He'll be one of the first pax.
Brian
Townsend, MT

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Brian,

Looking great! Austin is a great little helper. Sometimes I wish that I had grandchildren to help... but then I would have to had children first!!!

I am getting around to mating the wings this summer. I already did the measurements and I should be able to fit my JEEP in the garage too!

Keep us posted. I will upload some pics of my progress too.

Nice work!

:wink: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

woohoo! after checking the level of the fuse again. I checked the wing tip to tail distance and it was only off by 1/16", so figured I should check the sweep. All 4 plumb-bobs were dead nuts ON. :yay: I'll let check the incidence tomorrow.

Guess I got one of the good QB's before the factory changeover.
Brian
Townsend, MT

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

WOOHOO :mrgreen:
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl